Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Binary Minds

I'm not as stupid as I look. I'd like to think that my brain is more complex than a computer CPU, and certainly has a little more mystery.

The folks at Nabisco, or Hershey's, or General Mills, I'm not sure exactly where, are, however, not of the same mind.

Apparently my brain, much like that of a computers, understands a basic language of Ones and Zeros, and builds on everything else from there.

Why do I mention this? Because apparently EVERYTHING from here on out must be broken down into 1-0-0 calorie packs. Can my brain get around 150 calorie packs? 90 calorie packs? Could I resist a 123 calorie pack? NO! Of course not! I have a binary brain, obviously! And OBVIOUSLY if it says ONE ZERO ZERO Calories, it MUST be good for me.
I'm sure by now you've figured out that I'm not really serious about the binary thing. My problem is this: where does the hundred calorie pack madness end? It was a great idea - at first - a few crackers or chips seemed like a good idea for those that wanted the snack without the excessive snacking. But it has gotten quite of out hand.
I swung into CVS this afternoon - I was having a terrible day, and I needed a beverage (no, not that type of beverage, though it would have been useful), and, should I find one, a snack.
What do I find? A box of 100 calorie pack REESES PIECES SNACK MIX.
Naturally, I couldn't resist. There was a box with 7 supposedly delectable snack packs (a nice, even number, so i figured it could get me through the rest of the week). I love peanut butter more than just about anything (save for life, liberty, wife and football, in some order... strike that), and I love fake-reprocessed-delectable-quasi-gelatinous-hard-candy-coated-peanut-butter nearly as much. Not only did the packs promise reeses pieces though, but also some form of crunchy peanut-buttery cereal, some wierd, round, crunchy, peanut buttery... uhm, other cereal... and I'm pretty sure the point is that its basically cap'n crunch & reeses pieces.
So by now, you are asking two questions:
How much do you get for 100 calories?
and
Where can I get mine???
The answer to the first? about 1.2 ozs. Yup, 100 calories doesn't get you what it used to. Which gets me to my final (have I made one yet?) point: where does the madness end? When do we stop bagging everything into what seems like healthy portions, even when it was never healthy to begin with?? I'm looking forward to a 100 calorie bacon package... the 100 calorie big-mac portion, well you get the idea.
And of course, now that the un-healthy experts have started finding that healthy marketing means people will buy your product, we can only expect more. The best part of the whole equation? Because you think you are eating better, you're more inclined to eat more - if one is good, isn't two just as good? You get to pay more money for more packaging and less food, only to want to buy more.
Strangely, I think this whole argument has come around to a subject that is near and dear to someone that is near and dear to me - eating better via more organic food, and saving the world by reducing the extra packaging. In my opinion, and yes, this is my opinion, let's stop the madness, and start packaging our own food - I can handle it if its actually 114 calories - and stop needlessly throwing money away towards crap like this.

Oh, and as to where you can get yours? YOU CAN'T! Keep your grubby hands off my peanut butter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment