Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Nice Guys Finish Last

I'm hoping to do better in my draft this year (don't try to call me on friday night, 8/28, I'm busy) so as to do better in my league this year. So I'm starting the research sooner (though I find the whole thing to be a crap shoot, but I doubt the multi-million dollar industry that's built around draft guides wants to hear that). And I'm going to try and do a few more mock drafts. Here's the early first stab at it. I got to pick second (flex position, snake draft league):

Player




Round Drafted
Overall Pick
Ryan, Matt QB ATL




5
42
Barber, Marion RB DAL




2
19
Turner, Michael RB ATL




1
2
Jackson, Vincent WR SD




4
39
White, Roddy WR ATL




3
22
Keller, Dustin TE NYJ




8
79
Parker, Willie RB PIT




6
59
Rackers, Neil K ARI




14
139
Giants DST




7
62
Roethlisberger, Ben QB PIT




10
99
Mendenhall, Rashard RB PIT




9
82
Driver, Donald WR GB




11
102
Ginn Jr., Ted WR MIA




13
122
Patriots DST




12
119

What I liked:
1) Picking second set me up for Michael Turner. Last year I ended up picking 3rd in my league, which made picking Brian Westbrook a fait accompli. Well, that didn't work out so well (see: shoot, crap). For whatever reason, I like Turner a lot (most have him in the top 4-5 but I've seen him as high as 2), and just like LDT was an automatic for almost everyone last year, Adrian Peterson is the consensus #1 this year. Picking #2 let me get the guy I want without setting myself up for feeling like an idiot if I picked him at 1 and Peterson made me pay for it. (Oh... wait, that's right, this is fake, fake football. Oops.)
2) Getting "Ben" in the 10th round. Just felt like a steal.
3) Uhm... I don't think I have a 3. I like the team... but I'm not feeling great about it.

What I didn't like:
1) Picking up the Pats D. There was a run on second defenses right before I grabbed them. I could have picked the Eagles... I probably should have but I just... couldn't. That's why we do these mock drafts I suppose...
2)Roddy White. I actually was happy about this until the other guys in the draft gave me crap about it. I know he's holding out, but I thought it was a solid pick. So I'm standing by it, even if I don't love it.
3) Donald Driver in the 11th round. Vincent Jackson in the 4th round. Dustin Keller. All of those picks snuck up on me (what's that? snuck isn't a word? Damn you spelll checker. damn you) and they ended up being impulse moves for the best player at the position at the time. I need to spend more time analyzing the mid-round players.

What I'm not sure about:
A lot of things, too many to number.
My ability to draft well, if at all.
Handcuffing Pitt running backs.
Matt Ryan ahead of a host of other (3rd rate) QB's.
Why "Ben" fell so low.
Marion Barber.
Yeah, I'm not sure about a lot.

I think I need some more practice. Let me know if you see anything I missed.

2 comments:

  1. Upon first glance I thought you were concerned about Marion Barry, to which I was going to say yes, you should be concerned. On second glance I'm sure you'll be fine. But what I was really going to say was, how did you get your Twitter posts so show up the way they do on your page? I am new to this world and currently am not satisfied with the way my page displays it. How can I be more like you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben fell so low because he threw 16 tds and 11 picks last year. Ben has also allegedly 'been' sexually harassing an employee at Harrah's. I think Marion Barber is going to be part of a RB-by committee deal in Dallas so be forewarned. Other than that i like the draft.

    ReplyDelete