Saturday, May 24, 2008

On The Line

Every so often (I like to call these times "long weekends") I find that I try and reach out to people I know through social networking sites. Generally I find these to be a complete waste of time, and as such my profiles and pages lay dormant with e-weeds growing upon them. And then, a good 2 or 3 times a year, I decide it would be fun to pretend like I keep in touch.
Today i sent a good 10 or 15 friend requests on Facebook. And who knew that I didn't have a picture! Well, I didn't know that, but I suppose that everyone else did.
Myspace? Haven't checked it in ages. Friendster? WTF? Does anyone still use that? Linkedin? Well, once in a while I add a new person, if only because it seems like the only logical networking site to be a part of.
Anyway, today is the day I decided that I was going to be a social butterfly. Let's just move past it because you know I won't keep it up and I won't care that I don't, and pretty soon I'll devolve into an anti-social caterpillar.
In other on-the-line news, I've finally started using Pandora. You may not care about this, but know that it has saved my sanity recently. Last summer, my nearby co-workers had a playlist with all of the hottest jams (let's pretend I didn't just say that, but it really was the best way to describe it), and I heard the same 20 songs over and over again.
Since then, they've all quit and I've had to fend for myself on the music-entertainment front to get me through the day. I've tried repeatedly to use Rhapsody's in-browser application to listen in, but that never works. So I've had to switch to online radio streaming.
WAAF works from time to time, but its not always what I'm looking for at work. WBOS is good, but it kind of freaks me out when they play 10 second Linkin Park clips on a loop during the broadcast commercial breaks - its cool at first but then it just seems weird. And I'm certainly not about to listen to JAMN or KISS, so I finally moved over to Pandora.
I've got to say, it is a bit repetative at times (I do hear a few songs more than once a day), but it does a great job of staying within the parameters of artists/songs that you tell it to play. One thing I've always disliked about these types of radio stations (if you haven't used Pandora before, its basically internet "radio", in that you tell it what you like and it plays those artists/songs and those that are like it, without commercial interruption) is that they have a very wide range of songs they feel "fit" into the genres you really like, and they don't play the artists you select nearly often enough.
Pandora has been quite different - I hear OAR, Linkin Park, 311 & Dave Matthews quite a bit (the artists I selected), and surprisingly it doesn't stray too far from this mish-mash of artists. And the audio quality is excellent, which is another benefit.
One problem - my new computer in Crown Colony (where my office will be moved to this coming Friday) doesn't have a built in speaker. I've got to fix this... I've gotten too used to my music at work recently.
Wow, what a boring post. Sorry about that folks. I promise to come up with something a little more clever later. And I'll buy you a treat if you accept me as your friend on Facebook... that is, if you do it in the next 25 seconds... otherwise I may have stopped caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment