Sunday, July 8, 2007

Flight of the iPhoenix

My iPod, as you may know, came to a sad end what is now a couple of months ago. It had been having problems with, well, staying on.
The headphones I have, non-standard around the back of the neck Philips type headphones, are a little, well, "loose" would be the word to use - they seem to disconnect from the iPod with regularity, even when they are plugged in, so as to stop the music. So I became used to this, as they are the headphones I use for working out, ect. (My Sony noise-cancelling ones don't have this issue luckily).
So I was a bit surprised earlier this year when just hitting play didn't immediately fix the problem. I started having to restart the entire iPod just to get it to work again. This was somewhat annoying.
Eventually, probably by May, it was no longer turning back on without the blue screen of... er I mean the Apple iPod Sad Face Guy.
It was on the fritz. And then... it was dead.
I gave it a charge for about 5 days, and it worked for 2 songs, and then died again. For good.

Meghan and I went to the doctors... er the genius bar at the Apple store, where they confirmed the cause of death - faulty hard drive.
Out of warranty.
Time to get a new one. The only thing I can do.

So that's been my problem. Of course, I haven't gotten one yet. But the old one (which is only good for a 10% discount on a new one at an Apple store at this point), has been sitting on my dresser for some time.

Well, today I gave it the old Han Solo try. I turned it on, nothing. Long pause. Sad face. And then I banged it against my hand (kind of like Han bangs the Falcon to jump start the systems in Empire Strikes Back) - really, what is it going to do? Break a broken hard drive? I didn't bang it in anger. But I did strike repeatedly. With force, force enough to...

It was about to go to the Sad Face Guy when the backlight popped on... and it had life.

So that has been my day - My iPod has risen like Dumbledore's phoenix.

Meghan doesn't think it will last. I'm sure that it won't too, but I hope against hope. Because I don't want to pay $250 for a new iPod!!! But I ask you all to take guesses as to how long it will work this time. Leave a message. Measure it in time (not songs), assuming I'll use it regularly between now and the end of its 10th life. The closest will get nothing... except the knowledge that they probably karmically killed my iPod (again). Keep in mind, its taken a full charge, had its hard drive wiped (again), and 1400 songs added back on, and updated again while playing 10-20 songs since coming back to life. But I know... we all know, it can't last long.

But until then I'll go rock out to Fergie... er Fall Out Boy.

Cause Big Girls Don't Cry (Over Their iPod).

4 comments:

  1. aw, I think I'm gonna miss Apple iPod Sad Face Guy. You don't see many frowny iPods these days. That being sad, I think it will last right up until August 24th

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll last until July 10th, or you get an iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before Bree airs my dirty laundry, I will confess that I may have listened/sang along to the particular Fergie song once or a few times, but that's only because when I was trapped in the deserts of Arizona for two weeks we had two channels on our TV, one of which was VH1, and that week they decided Fergie and Rihanna's Umbrella were the only songs they'd play, over and over and over again. I guess me and myself have got some figuring out to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew, I occassionally get very nervous that Ian will leave me. For you.

    And Ian, you know as well as I do there was no "singing along." You serenaded Jaime and I in the office, and you knew ALL THE WORDS.

    ReplyDelete