Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Other Boston Trade

Good evening, gentle reader-

I apologize for my recent absence. I've been working on a project that has basically sucked my soul away... God I love grad school. Actually, its somewhat relevant to our current discourse, but more on that soon-

The Bruins made a deal today that I'm somewhat taken aback by... they have traded a Providence prospect for a 32 year old goalie.

So what's the big deal? Well, 1, the B's have 3 goalies right now (Tim Thomas, Hannu Toivonen (sp?) and prospect Tukka Raask). However, none of these goalies are really capable of bring the B's back into the playoffs, and by my estimation Toivonen will be jettisoned for 50 cents on the dollar. But this may be ok, because all the B's gave up in this deal (for Manny Fernandez, the new goalie) was Peter Kalus and a 4th round draft pick. Now, knowing how these things work, Kalus will be the second coming of Paul Coffey (that's an idea if I ever decide to rename my blog... "The Second Coming of Paul Coffey"... I kind of like it. Let me know what you think), and the 4th rounder will probably be the next Joe Sakic, however, if the world is fair maybe that won't happen for once.
But what really surprises me is this: The Bruins seemed to have made a sensible deal that balances both finances and on ice concerns.
Is Fernandez the best goalie available? Well, lots of guys aren't "available", so he may be the best they could get, but he isn't the best goalie out there. Nevertheless, the Bruins have a track record of getting rid of goalies that hold that ever important "potential" and pick up guys that aren't on the back nine of their careers, they're already in the club house, drinking their Bud Light and worrying about getting back home to the constant nagging of the wife.
These names might sound familiar (if and most likely only if your name is Matt...): Peter Skudra, Steve Shields, Jeff Hackett, Felix Potvin. They all found a bit of spare change at the bottom of Jacob's pocket and a ride off into the Canadian sunset.
This years most eligible bachelor-tenders?
Curtis Joseph. Ed Belfour. Robert Esche.

Come on. These guys were all DYING to come to the Bruins, make 3 million dollars too many to play like crap before packing it in.

Yet this isn't the path that the B's chose... for once. In Fernandez they get a 32 year old backstop with a career 2.47 Goals Against Average who is making 4+ million for only TWO years. Chances are Fernandez has a couple of decent seasons left in him, and if he doesn't, well, this little foray into prudency only has to last for two years.
I'm so in favor of this deal I'm pretty sure there isn't something wrong with it, everything must be wrong with it.
I'm just missing something. This is a deal the Pats would make. A deal that Theo would make on a good day (when he's taken his Ritalin and isn't dressing up as a gorilla). Its the best trade that a Boston sports team has made all week, and that's saying something.
Will they fail me in free agency tomorrow? Yup. Not probably, I'm quite sure they will.
But is there the smallest glimmer of hope? Well, if you cock your head to the side and squint, you can kind of sort of see it. Or maybe that's just the light reflecting off the door knob, but anyway...

1 comment:

  1. The Bruins - I've heard of them. They won a game back in the 80's right? They have those their cute little green shirts. Oh wait... no.. that was the Boston Leprechauns. My bad. The bruins play Lacrosse. I remember now.

    ReplyDelete