Friday, March 21, 2008

The Madness of March

Meghan's parents have a 2000+ sq ft condo that we've been cat sitting in for two days, so it may seem surprising to you that Meghan, the cat and I are all cozily sitting on the same, small couch. But considering that the weather is also a bit surprising (its been right about at freezing today), and this place gets a bit chilly when you don't crank the heat on a cold day, I bring you my long awaited follow-up post to my... last post. Ok, yes its been a while, but l've been busy, leave me alone about it. Anyway, I've had a lot to say recently, and forgotten most of it. So here's what I'm thinking right now instead.

I think its great that I'm blogging, streaming the UConn - San Diego game, and listening to Linkin Park on Rhapsody, all wirelessly on the laptop. I don't know why this impresses my so, especially because Meghan is making fun of me for being so proud of it. Whatever, the cat is watching the game and he seems to appreciate it.

Of course, I'd be enjoying it a lot more if UConn would just finish off San Diego; instead we're going to overtime. The brackets have taken a bit of a hit today... but I'm still towards the top of the list for my group on Yahoo.

What I don't get, I've never gotten, and probably won't ever get, is why these brackets are frowned upon, in general in the work environment, and specifically in the financial world. It just doesn't make sense to me. You can "bet" on stocks, mutual funds, derivatives; you can invest in energy, commodities, even volatility, yet you can't wager on sports? It just doesn't make sense to me.
I know gambling can be an addiction and I understand why we don't have slot machines next to the cafeteria, bathroom or watercooler, but at work, I can go down to the convenience store in the building and buy a scratch ticket; why can't I go online and wager on the Celts this weekend, or Tiger on Sunday, is just beyond me. Oh well.

I think a few people at the Fours in Boston this afternoon weren't too worried about the legality of filling out their brackets - when Western Kentucky nailed a 3 pointer to close out the game and upset Drake, there were a few hoots and shouts of astonishment. Also, random note - where did the huge building come from accross the street from the Fours?? Weird.

And what are the chances that when W. Kentucky won that game, as a 12 seed, their first thought was immediately, maybe we'll be favored in the next game - UConn versus San Diego (a 13 seed). Well, now that SD has won in overtime, that'll happen on Sunday. I'll take "Throwing my Bracket in the Trash" for $500 Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment