Sunday, January 20, 2008

Defending Against the Forces of Mordor

I'm sure Matt and Laney will disavow all knowledge of this event, however know that it is true - back in the day (say, 2004), the 3 of us had a multi-day game of Lord-of-the-Rings Risk that took place in that ill-fated dining room that we hardly ever used and was always freezing cold. The game was entertaining for a number of reasons; not only did it prove that we are total losers, but it got us out of the living room and away from the XBox, if only for a little while. And while I had only played old-school risk a couple times in my life, I did the smart thing and took as many starting spaces adjacent to each other as I could - I found my self huddling up in the south - aka Mordor - while Matt and Andrew took the northern regions - Gondor, Rohan, ect. And while they battled for power in the North, I amassed my army in the South. (Scary how they let me do this... did they see and or read Lord of the Rings? Hello!?! I was basically copying Sauron's moves... you know, plotting in darkness, filling my borders with men and orcs, I did everything short of building a mini-tower on the table and set upon a great eye, lidless, wreathed in flame, well, you know.)

Anyway, I tell you all this because I feel like the Republican race is turning into a macro-sized game of LOTR Risk - Matt and Andrew are being played by McCain and Romney, and I am Mike Huckabee. (Come on, you see the similarities between Huckabee and Sauron- fanatical followers bent on destroying the nation/middle earth via unlimited power vis-a-vis a ultrapowerful ring/executive powers). Anyway, Mitt and John are playing a lot smarter than Matt and Andrew did... they seem to be secretly working together to make sure that the Huckster is blocked in certain key states. Most important was a big McCain win yesterday in SC; that plus the Romney win in Nevada has effectively kept the Orcs of Huckamordorbee at bay.

The trouble will come when the forces of good (and Ron Paul) head to the south (again, parallel between southern Middle Earth and southern United States??). Evangelicals would have you believe that we are near the end of days, and we are threatened by the antichrist. I would argue that this is no antichrist, but we are threatened by the forces of Mordor - in other words, the evangelicals.

Let's just hope I'm not making the analogy of Obama being our one hope to destroy the forces of evil and bringing the message of "Change' into the deep south in November.

3 comments:

  1. I honestly don't even know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish I could have been there for that game, because after I once managed to convince my family to play LOTR Risk until the wee hours of Christmas Day a few years ago, no one has played with me since. No one. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother made me play Risk once.

    Once.

    ReplyDelete