Tuesday, February 5, 2008

An Unlucky Shirt?

I'm sure by now I've said more than enough about the Pats, and there's been a lot said in the local and national media. So I'll spare you another diatribe, this time on the loss. I do want to mention one thing though:
I don't bother believing in these supposed jinxes and curses. Bill Simmons can write an article about whether or not the Pats are the best Boston team ever, even before they play out the Super Bowl, and it doesn't affect the outcome. Meghan can skip the Bruschi jersey and it doesn't affect the outcome. Belichick can wear the red sweatshirt, and it doesn't affect the outcome. I can change my passwords at work, even before the game is played, to a superbowl related theme, and, though its a bit nearsighted, it doesn't affect the outcome of the game. I just don't buy into these things.
Nevertheless, I do believe that in the end, the football gods got their revenge on the Pats. (How exactly can I say that a hoodie doesn't matter, but some fictional gods do? I just can, don't ask questions.) The Giants played an incredible game in week 17, didn't cheat, didn't blow people out, and didn't anger the football gods. They didn't have the best QB (far from, as history has shown), they didn't have the best wide receiver (it will be interesting to see if we keep ours). The football gods said that the Giants should win, and win they did.
Do I get it? Sure. I'm willing to accept it. I'm willing to accept 18-1 (the football gods wanted that too)... what i want to know is, now that the football gods had their way, can't we have them replay the game? Seems like its only fair, now that everyone has exacted their revenge on the Pats...
Ugh, why am I still writing this?? I promised to be brief.

3 comments:

  1. Where will Moss go? I know he came here to win a super bowl, which he didn't do, but no one could have ever predicted the Giants would win. The only other team with a QB good enough for him to place his bets on the 2009 Super Bowl is the Colts, no? And really, how is going from the Pats to the Colts going to help his cause? The same thing could end up happening next year. Except a Manning/Manning superbowl might be the end of the world as we know it because God would get tired of all those Manning faces and just smite us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I heard Boston was preemptively planning their parade and jinxed the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I have to write another entire post about WHY THERE WAS NO JINX??? THERE WAS NO JINX!!! IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

    Two things happened. The Giants played better, and the football gods smiled upon them.

    I'm sure there were supposed jinxes on both sides. Boston HAD to plan the parade ahead of time, because there happened to be an election two days later; you can't just have 500,000 people skip work, skip the polls, hit up downtown Boston and expect everything to be normal. Somewhere, in some dark corner, Mumbles is already planning out next years parade (probably in the same bunker that he and his buddies hid out in during that terrible mid-day-to-rush-hour snow storm in December.) And that's probably not a bad idea.

    Here's a bad idea. Cheating. That's a bad idea. Angering the football gods - they will smite you - you will be smoten - and that is one of the reasons that they lost.

    That and because Asante treated the football like a hot potato on his last touch. Ugh, i'm so angry.

    And the thought of a manning bowl just made me throw up a little bit. Meep.

    ReplyDelete