Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Random thought: When was the last time i had one of my random thought posts?

Ok, maybe they were never titled random though threads, but you get the idea. And just to make sure I don't get in trouble with Vallone for not posting enough, I figured this was a good way to get you back into my creepy little mind.

-Saw an ad tonight for a do-it-yourself butterfly kit. I have only one question after seeing this: Is there anyone over the age of 5 that lacks a degree in some form of physiological science that isn't creeped the hell out by butterflies? Think about it. Caterpillars crawl around, eat a bunch of greens, double in size, double in size again, and again, then magically create a cocoon out of themselves, crawl out of it and FLY THE EFF AWAY. Really? This is what nature intended?
Maybe I'll start leaning back to divine intervention, because really, that's some whacked out crap right there. Nature doesn't have that good imagination. That's the sort of thing nightmares are made of, and I'm pretty sure after eons of fighting Satan, God has some crazy dreams. Anyway, if you aren't freaked out by a time-lapsed picture sequence of a catterfly, then I don't trust you.

-Is it weird that I like Kanye West on a purely aesthetic level? No, no, not that type of aesthetic. He's not my version of Meghan's obsession with Colin Firth. No, I just happen to really like his voice. I'm pretty sure if he was rapping a song about driving off the Tobin, I'd get in my car and head north. Ok, maybe I'm revealing a little too much about myself here. And he's a whiny bitch anyway, which annoys me. But if you ever know I'm behind a closed door, and you hear him crooning away, well, assume it isn't safe to enter, or the grounds of "Andrew Alone Time".

-Saw a headline on CNN yesterday, but I didn't snag it to drop here on the blog - but it was a picture of an American soldier who had lost his sight but was learning how to see. Not sure if you've ever been skiing, and seen these vision-impaired folks with their vision-unimpaired guides (and their neat matching vests). And I think its really great that they were taking one of our Heros skiing - but as usual, I'm a terrible person, and all I could think of is Laney being the person teaching the lesson. Wow. Talk about trauma!

-I just found 4 songs by 311 on Rhapsody that I've never EVER (NEVER EVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER! -thank you for that one Ian) heard before! How is that even possible? I'm not sure if in the history of the universe the term "311gasamed" has been used (and how would one go about saying that anyway? I'm pretty sure it can only be typed), but one thing I am sure if that it just happened right here on my couch.

-I've got to say I'm not surprised by this article. Of course, the only delimma that I have personally is figuring out how early is too early when it comes to starting drinking on parade day. But I love the laissez-faire attitude here in Boston (and NY) - now THAT is the way to play indifferent!! Blame the public for the indecency! The church says it isn't responsible for civic celebrations... I'm sure that they'd have something different to say about a cross-dressing transexual parade down the streets of Southie (wait, so what clothing do they wear regularly? help me figure this out), but for now, I'm happy to say that I'll be with the rest of the heathens on Palm Sunday, and I may not have the church's blessing, but at least I don't have their curse either.

-It's funny the things you'll find when you head north... Its not quite an elk... but you know... (thanks again Ian... you keep setting 'em up, I'll keep knockin' 'em down.)


-And lastly, I'm with Matt here. This story is meaningful to a LOT of people, whether they know it or not. 401k plan participants are given a lot of responsibility when it comes to managing their retirement funds (which I completely agree with), but they shouldn't have to deal with irresponsible fiduciaries. I'm not saying that everyone should go out and sue Towers Perrin or Diversified Investments, but the threat of that should hopefully mean that these companies carry out their duties with a little more care.

2 comments:

  1. I really hope Ian watches that video

    Also, Colin Firth is sexy. I don't care what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, we don't get streaming media out here, so it will be another two months until I can watch said video. But don't worry, as soon as I get back to the States, watching it will be the first thing I do. In the meantime, I'm flattered that a post on 'random thoughts' included not one, but two references to me. I guess no matter how random the thought, I will always cast a shadow over Andrew's mind.

    ReplyDelete