Monday, February 11, 2008

Left versus Right, Walgreens, Dumplings

I may sound like a broken record, but I didn't have a swell day. This is pretty much a constant for me, so I will spare you the gory details (except this one: "2a-7". Don't ask. Unless you are really bored, then google that, plus Money Market, and then bang your head against your CPU tower, or the corner of your laptop, repeatedly, until red liquid dribbles from your temple).
Meghan asked me to stop at Walgreens to see if her pictures were there. Now, you may remember a time when your pictures may or may not be there, mainly because the 1 hr photo shop wasn't as fast as you were dropping them off and then immediately going to pick them up because you wanted to see 500 pictures of your boring cousin on your lame vacation. Its a little different these days, due to the whole internet thing. Now, the process is a little more abstract; we take pictures, store them on a small disc, transfer them to a big disc, upload them, download them, send them online to the store, and then, after two weeks, complete and utterly forget that you've had the poor guy behind the walgreens counter print your pictures, slowly letting the dust settle on the package, until we kindly ask our husbands to just drop in unexpectly on the picture man and ask for our now antiquated snapshots.
Unfortunately, the pictures caught the last dust-bunny express to Albuquerque and the sniviling little man pleads ignorant to your unwelcomed questions about your pictures.
Fortunately, there happens to be a Chinese Resturant right next to this particular Walgreens (the Resturant itself may actually be a comination of steel & pine however, the food served within is decidedly unauthenticly Chinese). Recalling my day (the bloodloss due to conversations about "2a-7" has slowed my brain considerably, so I stood in the cooooold a little longer than is normal), and the relative disappointment about the pictures (relative meaning on a scale from 0 to .001), I decided that a beer and some dumplings might not be all that bad. Especially when recalling the conversation that Meghan and I had 7 days prior:

Scene: 43W 29, 5:30 pm, on a Tuesday
Meghan (phone in hand): I'm getting a calzone. (the period is silent, but not subtle.)
Me: What?
Meghan (reaching for menu, angered by my perplexity): I'm getting a calzone.
Me: Oohkay. Uhm, sounds good. Why?
Meghan (looking downright fierce): THERE'S NO CHOCOLATE IN THE HOUSE. (even less subtle period at the end of the sentence. Making me think its time to go vote and then head to class).
Me (considering the mathmatics of -Chocolate = +Calzone + Delivery, and the physics involved with my response): ...
Meghan (staring): Do you want one?
Me (scared to answer either way): Sure... sounds good (running out door. End Scene).

So when I decided that some dumplings, a wonton soup and a bud light wasn't logical, it did manage to fall into the logic of the above conversation, and coupled with my freezing fingers and nose, and the sudden realization that if I didn't have a beer, I would have to go back to work with one less beer having been consumed between shifts, well, that pushed me over the edge.

Whats great about this particular establishment is that there are two bars and one dining room. The bars seem to flank the dining room, though they are completely different in structure. The one of the left is the length of the building and has a few pool tables, though its most notable for its narrowness and length, as well as its flat screen tvs (Angelina Jolie and Mr. & Mrs. Smith turned out to be just as entertaining as Sportscenter). The other bar is square, small, and is notable for its patrons; locals classified somewhere between the species Cantonae Heartyous and Cantonae Grizzledous. Their enjoyment of all things, uhm, well, whatever locals enjoy every monday night at 6 pm in a semi-sketchy bar, is entertaining. However, like most things these days, I lean left, and head to the wide open, empty, big screened bar where I can enjoy the nothingness that comes to my brain after purging thoughts of my conversations with Bank of America.

Whats my point here? I'm pretty sure its Left Right Walgreens Dumplings. Bloodloss. Time to return the Redbox movie before I pass out.

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand why you don't understand the connection between not having any chocolate in the house and then deciding a calzone was necessary. Makes perfect sense to me. And at least I got you a calzone, where's my crab rangoon?

    ReplyDelete